Computer Networks (Summer 2013)
|Workload/ECTS Credits:||120h, 4 ECTS (old PO), 5 ECTS (new PO)|
|Module:||B.Inf.902: Telematik (old), B.Inf.1204.Telematik/Computernetzwerke (new)|
|Teaching assistant:||Narisu Tao, David Koll|
|Time:||Monday, June 17th 2013, 2pm-4pm (14-16 Uhr)|
|This is an exam only course. There will be no regular lectures. Please regularly check this page in case something changes.|
Principles and basic understanding of computer networking, with an emphasis on the Internet. Topics include: the concepts and components of computer networks, protocol engineering and formal specification basis, packet switching, layered architectures, TCP/IP, error control, window flow control, local area networks, network layer and mobility, transport layer and congestion control, Quality of Service and multimedia networking, network management and security, and an introduction to current research topics. After this course students should have general knowledge on basic concepts of networking, how the Internet works and basic network programming.
- to be determined
Please see the lecture slides, exercises and notes of the Wintersemester: Computer Networks (Winter 2012/2013).
- J. Kurose and K. Ross, "Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach Featuring the Internet", 2nd edition, Addison-Wesley, 2002.
- A. S. Tanenbaum, "Computer Networks", 4th edition, Prentice Hall, 2002.
- W. Richard Stevens, "TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1: The Protocols", Addison-Wesley, 1994.
- W. Richard Stevens, "UNIX Network Programming, Volume 1: Networking APIs", 2nd edition, Prentice Hall, 1997.
- Movie: "Warriors of the Net" 
- Computer Science I, II; basic familiarity with UNIX and C.